I’m sure by now you’ve all watched Emma Watson’s wonderful HeForShe speech (ten times over if you’re near as crazy as me). As a feminist, I am jubilant to see the reception which it has received – stirring celebrities to get their Twitter thumbs active and post #HeForShe in support. But is one speech really enough to change the attitudes of an entire generation?
It’s always interesting telling people that I’m a
feminist. I’ve had a number of responses, from an eye-roll to the beginnings of
a heated debate. But mostly, you get a glazed look and a hastened attempt to
change the bloody subject. It’s not a fashionable word and it definitely comes
with a mass of connotations.
I’ve recently come back from a trip travelling around
Europe. Six countries later and it’s safe to say that I’ve met my fair share of
people from different backgrounds, different countries and different
upbringings. One thing they shared? A lack of understanding about what feminism
really is.
Enter Emma Watson. A beauty who we’ve grown up with on
our screens. Hermione is a feminist hero for young girls and they don’t even
know it. Her speech was moving, so on-point and made a solid endeavour to break
impassive perceptions of the unmentionable ‘feminism’. It was witty, informed
and personable and most of all, spoke to men as well as women. Interestingly, I
watched Watson’s UN speech on the back of watching this:
(talk about contrasts!) and I was almost crying with joy by the time I reached the end, after having almost cried with disdain after watching the Vice doc.
(talk about contrasts!) and I was almost crying with joy by the time I reached the end, after having almost cried with disdain after watching the Vice doc.
It’s incredible that Emma Watson’s speech has gained so
much attention – through social media, traditional media and word of mouth.
It’s brought the issue of feminism into the light, from which it was once
banished. It’s opened dialogue between boyfriends and girlfriends and mothers
and daughter and, hopefully, many in between.
Of course, it’s an exclusively positive event but my
hesitations lie within the longevity of this reaction. How long before Kim
Kardashian or the latest ‘hilarious’ Vine are back filling your newsfeed?
Social media allows us to get wrapped up in the latest craze – consult Kony
2012 – before we ultimately discard it for the next one. Collectively, we’ve
never had so much power at our fingertips but we’re using it in the wrong way –
under the wrong attitudes.
I crave for feminism not to be exiled back to its hole of
hush and misunderstanding, a month or two down the line. I implore every man
and woman who watched that video of Emma Watson and felt a little stir of
revolution in the pit of their stomach to not let this wash away with the next
tide. Now is the time to change your attitudes and begin to create a
metamorphosis of our viewpoint on feminism. Wouldn’t we all love to live in the
world
outlined by Watson? Well, it’s not going to change itself…
No comments:
Post a Comment