Last Thursday I popped into MAC, at Harvey Nichol's Leeds, to try out their Professional Make Up menu. This service has been running since April this year and offers an array of lessons/tutorial from one of the lovely MUAs at MAC.
There are a few that you can choose from with the main three being:
Express Make-up in 30 minutes (£20), a personalised make-up demonstration focusing on one key area of the face.
Bridal & Special Events in 90 minutes (£50), a MAC artist will create a custom look for a wedding day or special event.
Theatrical Make-up in 90 minutes (£50) for fantasy, stage, drag or Halloween looks.
I went for the Express Make-up in 30 minutes and concentrated on the eyes. I am terrible at eye shadow and tend to use a solid colour rather than faffing with blending and eventually creating a panda-eye. So learning a little about making the most of my neglected eye shadow palettes, seemed right for me. The session costs £20 but this is redeemable against any MAC product; which is great!
Initially, I had a little chat with my artist and discussed the look that I wanted. I decided on a matte, smoky eye - using nudes and a deep purple/brown - followed with a flick of black, gel liner.
These were the eye products used for my look. The lighter, champagne colour was used all over the lids and the other two colours were blended on the outer corner and through the socket line. The effect was a subtle, smoky eye that would work for daytime or night. I liked that there was very little shimmer and the look was sophisticated yet still colourful and out of the ordinary.
The gel liner looked amazing and stayed on, perfectly, all day! I was rather impressed and have vowed to spend my first pay check at the MAC counter; buying that little beauty.
These photos are such bad quality as I only had my iPhone camera and the lighting was terrible. But you get an idea of the finished look. The artist gave me this face chart (below) with all the products used and little tips on how to get the best finish.

Once my session was finished, I had the tough decision of how to spend my money. As my session was eye-focussed I decided on an eyeshadow. I loved the darkest colour, Embark, and it was swiftly put into my basket. My look was kindly finished with a slick of lipstick and the artist used one from the Viva Glam collection: a beautiful, deep purple with a hint of brown. Perfect with my complexion and a welcomed addition to my collection.
I think these sessions are a great way to learn a little more about make up application. They're not greatly informative and it is more of a tutorial than a lesson and they are very targeted towards selling products rather than teaching about make up. But they're a great idea and make a lovely present! I thoroughly enjoyed my session and loved coming away with some goodies and an idea how to use them.
The Bridal session sounds great and is a fabulous, cheaper, alternative to having your wedding make up done professionally. And you get £50 worth of products to utilise on the big day!
Bookings for the Professional Make Up Menu can be placed at your nearest MAC counter.
N.









No comments:
Post a Comment