
Glamorous it may not be, but hair removal is big business in the beauty world and, let's be honest, an important part of ladies' grooming routines.
We can argue (in our most strident feminist tone) that it's completely unfair that women are expected to be smooth and preened whereas men can roam the Serengeti with a chest rug and back beard. But it's the way it is and social and cultural expectations mean that we must be the smooth operators that we're expected to be.
I'm pretty unfortunate when it comes to unwanted hair and my dark and thick hair is a real pain in the arse. But that's where these products come in to use...

Shaving: After trying razor after razor (disposables, you're never coming anywhere near my legs again) I've decided that men's razors are the cream of the crop. The blades are sharper, giving you a closer shave and they last so much longer than the ones aimed at women. I use Gillette Mach 3 and really can't fault its performance. The razor itself was pretty reasonable but the blades are extortionate and I tend to buy them in bulk online to save some pennies. Prep for the legs comes in the form of Gillette Satin Care Sensitive shave gel. The blue gel transforms to a thick foam which makes the hair soften and protects the skin. I'll go for any of the Satin Care range really and the apricot version is delightful along with their collaboration with Olay - which leaves legs feeling silky smooth.
Hair Removal Cream: It smells and it's messy but results are results and hair removal cream always does the job. I can recall countless hours where I've been shivering in the bathroom with my arms raised above my head and my underarms covered in hair dissolving cream. Patience is a virtue here, let the cream work its magic. I tend to use Nair Silky Sensation or the Veet Lotus Milk & Jasmine remover on my underarms. They're too sensitive to hack shaving so get a gentler treatment. I am actually looking to find a better hair removal cream - I want something that works miracles on thick hair and doesn't have that dreaded smell that lingers in the bathroom for hours. (I live with two men and I'm sure they love the aroma as much as I do). So if you have any suggestions, please drop me a comment.
Waxing: Waxing is my absolute favourite form of hair removal. NO PAIN NO GAIN. But getting it done professionally can be pricey and I just don't have that kind of money to throw around right now. The 'growing out' phase can be annoying but thick tights and printed trousers help to see the process through. I've become a little immune to waxing pain over the years too and now my leg hair grows back in patches and comes through a lot fairer.
Waxing at home isn't so easy and I only really do my eyebrows in this way. These small wax strips are pretty inexpensive and work a treat. I cut them into the shape of my eyebrow and then stick and pull. If you have sensitive skin, these can cause a little breakout around forehead and sides but the results are great and I only need to do my eyebrows every few weeks.
Here's a little tip: if you're going to get professionally waxed and you're apprehensive about the pain, take a couple of paracetamol half an hour before your treatment. You'll hardly feel it.
Being a lady isn't easy but good products can keep unruly hair in check. I'd love to try a laser treatment soon so I better start saving.
N.
No comments:
Post a Comment