Monday, 24 March 2014

A Chop & Some Colour - with Regis


A quick flick through my Facebook photos tells you two things. 1.) I shouldn't be allowed alcohol and 2.) I like to change my hair colour... a lot. Since I was 15 (and out of the restraints of my school's strict rules) many a box of bleach and dye has been piled onto my locks, along with a fair few hours in the hairdresser's swivel chair. 

I haven't changed my hair colour for a year or so now, keeping the 'dip-dye' a steady feature but I finally got the itch. Now, my hair is very dark and very thick and does not take colour well. If I want to colour over the black I usually have to bleach my hair first to create a light base. And you can see the horror on my hairdresser's face when I ask to go lighter.

But I thought that Regis could take the challenge and booked myself in at their Headingley salon, after an allergy patch test. On arrival I had to wait half an hour or so to be seen as the stylist was trying to run the shop all on her own. I didn't mind the wait but, knowing how long my hair takes to do, couldn't help but clockwatch. I was eventually in the chair, wrapped in the obligatory gown, but it continued downhill when we realised that the salon was out of stock of the colour that I wanted. Honestly, it was a pretty negative start to my whole experience at Regis. But my stylist got all the books out and we managed to decide on a bespoke mix of colours especially for my kind of hair.

So an hour after my arrival, some colour was finally hitting my hair. It was by no means what I imagined when I first went in (a light chestnut brown) but at least the itch was being scratched. Colour on, it was a waiting game - would it take, or would I still have pitch black hair?

 And here are the results: 
A plummy brown was the end result, not quite the brown that I wanted but I like it nonetheless. Unfortunately, the dye took to my roots better so the colour is pretty uneven. The heat from the scalp makes colour develop quicker, something that I've learnt from many years of colouring but my hairdresser had obviously never noticed (!) 

Overall, I was fairly disappointed with my final colour. I like the cut and think she did a great job at that but there was just too much faffing and time wasting for such measly results. Thankfully, I'm not too fussy with my hair (see said Facebook photos of when I rocked an accidental bright orange for a couple of months) so I don't really mind keeping this colour for a bit. But the whole treatment set me back almost £70 and parting with that much money for patchy colouring is what I'm most annoyed about. 

Now that my hair has been slightly lightened though, I'm hoping that a shelf box dye will take and I'll be able to sort it myself. On a side note, the service at Regis (despite the delay and lack of stock) was great and my stylist was lovely. I just wish her skills had been up to scratch with her friendliness and chit chat.

Before



After

What do you think? Should I have kept the dip dye or was the cut and colour worth the money?


N.
Follow on Bloglovin

No comments:

Post a Comment